This is a great recipe by my favourite food writer, Elizabeth David and is somewhere between a crustless quiche and a Spanish tortilla. It is simple to make and absolutely delicious. I like to make this in a deep springform cake tin so that you have the option to take it straight from the oven and scoop out servings from the dish or alternatively turn it out and eat it at room temperature later on, cut into wedges. If you do not have a tin, you can use an earthenware dish or any round oven proof dish with deep sides (approx 20cm wide and 5cm deep)
250g – 350g Potatoes boiled whole in their skins (takes approximately 20-30 minutes depending on the size and type of your potatoes.) Pierce with a knife to check they are done.
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
6 tablespoons of olive oil
Generous grating of nutmeg
250g courgettes or summer squash coarsely grated
2 heaped tablespoons of grated cheese (optional)
2 heaped tablespoons of fresh greenery; this could include parsley, sorrel, basil, watercress, lettuce, spinach or any summery greens you might have to hand
- Set the oven to 150°C
- Peel the cooked potatoes and cut them into cubes. Put them in the dish tossed in 2 tbsp of olive oil, the chopped garlic and a generous sprinkle of salt and black pepper
- Put the grated courgettes in a frying pan with 3 tablespoons of olive oil or 2 tbsp of butter if you prefer and a sprinkle of salt. Gently fry for 5 minutes until soft but not coloured
- Whisk the eggs with a couple of pinches of salt, a couple of gratings of nutmeg and a few grinds of black pepper and whisk until frothy. Stir in the greens and cheese.
- Increase the oven temperature to 190°C
- Add the courgettes and potatoes to the egg mixture and gently combine
- Pour into your dish and sprinkle some olive oil on the top.
- Bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes until the tian is golden and risen
Eat warm straight from the oven scooped onto crusty bread or leave to cool and cut into slices. A good accompaniment is a simple tomato salad (sliced tomatoes with a little onion, olive oil, salt, pepper and red wine vinegar)